Tuition & Volunteer Hours
MAYSO is partially funded through tuition fees. This covers approximately 37% of the annual budget of the organization. Scholarships are available for students who might be prevented from participating due to fees (please see below). Tuition is based on one year of membership. For one semester, it would be half the cost as listed above. Fundraising is available to all students and funds earned go directly towards students accounts to lower cost of tuition. All students are asked to volunteer and hours are based on your group with no more than four hours total required.
Tuition rates are:
- Youth Symphony Orchestra - $360 (Full Season) | $180 (one semester)
- Youth Philharmonic - $260 (Full Season) | $130 (one semester)
- North Star Strings - $160 (Full Season) | $80 (one semester)
- Play a secondary instrument in NSS - $60 (Full Season) | $30 (one semester)
- Youth Wind Ensemble - $250 for non-YSO/YP/NSS | $100 for current members of YSO/YP/NSS
Payments by cash or check (payable to MAYSO) may be given at rehearsals to Will Frame, Financial Director.
MAYSO relies on volunteers for many of its operational needs. Therefore, volunteer time is required of each participating family. Volunteer hour requirements are per family, not per student or per ensemble. Those families with students in more than one ensemble are responsible for the greatest number of volunteer hours. All volunteer hours must be recorded on the MAYSO website.
Required Volunteer Hours:
- Youth Symphony Orchestra - 4 hours per year
- Youth Philharmonic - 3 hours per year
- North Star Strings - 2 hours per year
- Youth Wind Ensemble - 3 hours per year
Volunteer hours are pro-rated if a student is enrolled for only one semester.
A buyout of volunteer hours is available at the rate of $25 per hour (for example, if you feel you can only donate two hours and have a student in YSO, you can pay an additional $50). If volunteer hours are not completed by the end of the season, you will be billed for buy-out of those uncompleted hours.
All scholarship student families are asked to volunteer an additional two hours per year to the organization. Tuition Scholarship students are required to fundraise in the Fall and Spring. If volunteer hours and/or fundraising is not completed, the student will not be eligible for further scholarships.